Friday, June 19, 2009

"Take naps, read books, wander about."

That's a direct quote from Lonely Planet's section on Ubud. I love it---it feels liberating to know they recommend doing what I'm prone to enjoy doing! For the moment, I'm hanging at an internet cafe off of a busy Ubud street. I've got some treasures of pics and videos to post, but they are on my laptop back at my little abode on the rice paddies. So, for a quick a dirty list of interesting things I've experienced so far, here we go:
-on the drive from the airport (at about 1 AM) we were stopped by a long ceremonial procession of men and women headed to their temple. Every family unit in Bali has a temple and performs pretty elaborate ceremonies there every 6 months.
-met women at the local market who have been making the same morning drink (which is an interesting blend of green goo stuff, pink rice milk, and coconut put into plastic baggies) for over 30 years. I tried to wrap my head around her daily life---but not sure I've got the words for that yet.
-drank hibiscus tea (and learned how to make it)
-made chicken curry (and it tasted just like the curry we made at home! Yahoo!)
-brushed my teeth with tap water from the house without even thinking about it. so far--i've not gotten sick. whew!
-took a shower outside among ferns and flowers and watched a big blue butterfly dance about
-learned that I should say "Belum" if someone asks me"Sudah Kaurin" which means to say "Not yet" if someone asks me if I'm married.
-met Wayan from Eat, Pray, Love---and she seemed quite gaurded. I sense things have been tricky for her. One of the first things she said was, "Sorry--I was bad and good in the book." I said--aren't we all. I think she thinks I'm expecting something from her---like she should be able to help me in the same way she helped Elizabeth Gilbert. But that's not how I feel at all. I've got no expectations--just thanks. I'll call her up and arrange a time for a body read and a vitamin lunch. I'd like her to know that I understand that life goes on (with all its grace and messiness) beyond the beautiful stories in the books.

It's such an amazing place---the only thing that would make it perfect is if everyone I loved was here too! I'm off to find a bite to eat and to watch an evening of gamelin and dance at Ubud's palace.

Selamat Malam,

Carrie

2 comments:

  1. how amazing girly!!!
    have the time of your life - though it sounds that you totally have that covered

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG, I wish I could be doing what you're doing sometimes. Enjoy every minute of your time in Bali. We miss you :)

    ReplyDelete